Leading Edge

February 14th, 6h

The second leading edge went great

IMG_0801 (1).jpg

February 12th, 9h

In order to start working on the leading edge, I built a cradles to hold the leading edges while attaching the ribs.  The crib did hold the leading edge great.

IMG_0797.jpg

Then I started working on the leading edge.  I started with the left one, so it involved the stall horn system.  I decided to go both with the stall horn and AoA, I am a big believer in redundancy in safety critical components.  so I did the prep work for the stall horn.  Then I moved on to attaching the ribs.

IMG_0799.jpg

Then, the fun part started:

  • I attached the leading edge to the main buddy.
  • I added the inboard rib that did not have pre patched holes.
  • I added the attachment skin that links the main leading edge to the fuel tanks.
  • I drilled the inboard rib and attachment skin.
  • I drilled all the ribs of the leading edge both to the main spar and the skin.

The results looks great:

IMG_0800.jpg

Next is the right wing leading edge.

Wing Main Skins

February 9th and 10th, 10h

In oder to do the wing skin, I have to change the attachment of the wing rig so that the rig is not in the way of the wing.  So instead of setting the spar on top of the angle bracket at the tip side of the wing, I had to attach the angle bracket to the tip rib.

IMG_0790.jpg

Afterwards it was time to cleco and drill both wings.  The final outcome is rewarding:

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Wing Skeleton Riveting

February 8th and 10th, 6h

  • Riveting the back spar in the right wing
  • Riveting the left wing.

January 26 and 27th, 28th 2018, 11h

After having primed all the parts, it is time to start the assembly and riveting of the wing skeleton.

First, I assemble the tiedown assembly for both wings.IMG_0760.jpg

Next, I riveted the back spar for both wings.

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0759.jpgIMG_0758.jpg

Then, It is time to assemble the skeleton again for riveting.

IMG_0762.jpg

Riveting the right wing, the rivets look good.

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpgIMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

Priming Spars and Ribs

January 23rd, 24th and 25th, 2018, 19h

I did a pretty large priming job, tacking the spars and all the wing ribs. I did follow all the recommended steps for priming to see if I will get better results then the priming I did in the empennage:

  • scratch all the parts with a scotchbrite
  • rinse all the parts
  • clean all part with acetone
  • brush all the parts with alumiprep
  •  rinse all the parts
  • clean all part with acetone
  • Prime

The result looks good, I tried to peal by hand the primer of one of the ribs and I did not succeed.

 

Wing Skeleton Setup

January 20 and 21nd, 2018, 18h

Now that both the front, back spars and all the ribs are ready.  It is time to cleko the wing Skeletons together and match drill everything.

So, in order to work on the hole skeleton for the 2 wings, I needed to move the work to the wing stand.  However, the wing stand was too high for be to be able to drill the top spar to the skeleton.  So, I lowered the wing stand.  Then I moved the front spar and started to cleko all the ribs and the back spar.  I was very happy to see the wings forming.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

After I had both wing skeletons attached.  I matched drilled everything. Moved the clekos, then match drilled the rest.  That was quit a large number of drilling and putting clekos.

Then it was time to disassemble everything.

IMG_0747.jpg

Then I drilled the conduit holes in all the ribs.  I had to pick a place for the light wiring holes since that is not pre drilled, so I followed Van’s recommendation, by putting them in the lower third of the ribs, between the first and second large holes.  Then I created a template to copy the holes to the rest of the ribs.

Now, all the part are ready to move to the priming stage.

Tie Down Assembly

January 19th, 2018, 7h

I finally got a metal blade, so we were able to work on the tie down assembly:

  • Cut the tie down spacers.
  • Smoothed the edges.
  • Clamped the spacers to the front spar with the tie down and drilled the holes for the bolts.
  • bolted the platenuts and drilled holes for the platenuts.
  • Deburred.
  • countersunk
  • Primed the surface between the spacers and the tie down.
  • rivets the platenuts to the spacers and tie down.
  • fitted the tie down assembly, but it did not fit.  The holes must have shifted lightly during the drilling.
  • Grinded the edges of the spacers to get them to fit.

IMG_0744.jpg

  • Then, I cut down the edges of the back spar attachments, and smoothed them.

IMG_0749 (1).jpg