May 24th, 25th, 15.5h
After getting the main part of the fuel tank done, I moved on to finishing the last details before closing:
- Fixing few rivets: first there was few rivets that were not flush, above the mil spec. So, I removed those rivets and reset new ones with fuel tank sealant.
- Vent line: first I needed to flare the vent line. It is very important to get the flare well done, since a bad flare can lead to leaks in the fuel tank. So, first, I purchased a flaring device and testing it in some extra pipe I had, the flare looked great. Then I went ahead and flared the vent line for both tanks. Afterward, I fit the vent line in both tanks, through all the ribs and fuel cap tab. Then, I bent the line so that it is pointing to the highest point in the tank. As well, I tested tightening the nuts. Everything looked great. Then it was time to add the tank sealant in to seal the input of the vent line for both tanks.
- Fuel pickup tube: I bought the pre-made fuel pickup tube, so it came already with a flare. So this one was easy. I fitted in the tank. Then I riveted the anti-rotation bracket with sealant. Then tightened the nuts. All looked great. Then I moved to sealing the fuel pickup input for both tanks.
- Fuel sander: this one does not need to be sealed in until closing the tank. But for completion, I added it in to see the fitting of everything together and test for any interference. All looked great.
- Removing fuel sealant from the edge that meets with the leading edge: after testing the fit of the fuel tank in the main spar, with the leading edge, the fuel tank was a little too high. This was because there was a bunch of fuel tank sealant a† the edge of the most outboard rib that added material causing the tank not to be flush. So, I removed the excess fuel tanks sealant., leaving only few millimeters at the outside of the rib for sealing.