June 5th, 8th & 9th 13h
We moved on with the preparation of the ailerons, with the aim to get the ailerons riveted and finished:
- Drilled the leading edge skin to the aft skin, the spar, the leading edge ribs, the main ribs and the counterbalance.
- Deburred the leading edge skin, the spar, the leading edge ribs, the main ribs and the counterbalance.
- Dimpled the leading edge skin, the spar, the leading edge ribs and the main ribs
- countersink the counterbalance.
- Primed the leading edge, the main rib, the leading edge ribs and counterbalance.
All the work went on smoothly. Then it was time to start riveting the ailerons:
- Riveting the leading edge rib to the counter balance: this had a little bit of tricky access requiring bending the tab of the leading edge rib, but it went on smoothly.
- Riveting the leading edge rib to the spar.
- Riveting the top leading edge skin to the spar and the aft skin. Access here was a bit hard, but we made it work with 2 people.
- Riveting the the main bibs to the aft skin and spar.
It is exciting to see the ailerons come together pretty quickly. A little bit more riveting is remaining, and then the ailerons would be done and ready to attach to the wings.