July 6th, 10th 18h
I finalized by decision on the avionics and decide to go with Dynon. So, I got all the part for the wing: heated pitot probe with AoA, servo for aileron and magnetometer.
I got started by the pitot probe. First I had to pick a place for the pitot probe. The option shown in the plans by Van does not work for the Dynon pitot probe because it will lead to interference between the aileron bell-crank and the pitot tube. I decided to put the pitot probe just to the left of the bell-crank assembly, to avoid interference while still being as close as possible to the center, between wing root and tip.
Then, I mounted the pitot tube mast into the wing by cutting out the mast slot in the wing skin, and drilling the attachment holes in the mast and the wing skin. As well, I drilled the bracket that attaches the mast to the rib and the skin to support the required loads.
Then I installed the pitot probe, which fits pretty well into the mast. I drilled 4 holes for #6-32 screws to attached the the pitot to the mast.
As well, I attached the pitot heat controller into the rib, right under the pitot tube, so that I don’t need to add any extension to the wires. The wires provided were more than plenty to reach between the pitot and the controller.
Then I moved on to the plumbing:
- I attached the wires between the pitot tube and the controller.
- I fluted the aluminum tubing for both the pitot and AoA.
- I connected the pitot and AoA aluminum tubing to the plastic tubing
- I past the plastic tubing through the tooling holes. The bushing provided were made for a 3/8inch holes, but my tooling holes are 5/8inch, so I need to buy some new bushings.