Front Wing Spar

January 5th, 2018, 2h

Worked on the tie down assembly:

  • Grinned the brackets to size, since we only needed to remove about amm.
  • Drilled matching hole with the main front spar.

We were not able to go ahead with the fabrication of the spacers wince we needed a blade for cutting metal for the bandsaw, so I ordered one to follow up on this work next time.

IMG_0731.jpg

December 29th and 30th 2018, 16h

We started on the front wing spar, we worked on the plate nuts on the sides of the spar, for both wings:

  • counter sinking the side holes for the rivets
  • priming the holes
  • riveting the plate nuts
  • countersinking for the screws

Left wing

IMG_0715.jpgIMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Right wing

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

We dimpled the access plates

IMG_0722.jpg

Garage and Wing Stand

December 24th and 25th 2018, 10h

I got the garage setup for the wings by moving the work table around to make space for the wings stand where most of the wings work will take place.

IMG_0707.jpg

I bought few items to build the wing stand and I got started in the building.  I am going for a simple wing stand design, with no wheels for now, so that it is stable for the build. I will add the wheels later on, once I am done with the wings build so that the wings are movable.

IMG_0711.jpgIMG_0710.jpg

 

Finished the Elevator

December 15th and 16th 2018, 10h

  • We pop riveted the remaining hard to reach rivets
  • we rolled the leading edge of both the left and right elevator
  • We riveted the leading edge of both the left and right elevator. It was a bit tricky to get the two surfaces to mate smoothly together, we had to do additional adjustment to the bend at the area where the two surfaces meet, and by the end we got some pretty good results.

IMG_0703.jpg

Then we attached the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer, we had to adjust the number of rotations of the bearing to get good range of motion.  We have now bigger than the max 30deg range of motion, which we can reduce later on. We also had to remove a little bit of material from the horizontal stabilizer to make room for the horns, to get the large range of motion.

IMG_0688.jpg

The empennage is looking pretty good, time to move on to the wings.

IMG_0689.jpg