December 22nd, 4h
The wings are very close to complete, just few items left. So, I decided to install the the access panels, so that I can close the wings:
- Match drilling access panels to wing bottom kin
- Match drilling access panels to planetenuts
What left is to rivet the platenuts to the bottom Skins, then to screw the access panels
December 22nd, 3h
Given that I redid the fuel caps for both left and right fuel tanks, I had to retest both tanks. So, I redid the pressure test with the sraying of soapy water. The test passed. So, now the fuel tanks are complete.
December 13th, 14th, 10h
I riveted the flap to the right wing, which went great. It is great to see both the flap and aileron on and rotating.
Then I moved to the left wing. For this one, I had to redo the hinge, since the holes in the previous hinge did not end up having edge distance. After redoing all the drilling, deburring and dimpling, I was finally able to rivet the hinge. However this hinge did not end up being perfectly straight, because of some enlarged holes for which there was no access to enlarge the countersink. So, I waiting to hear from Vans about this one:
So, I switch to working in the aileron and bell-crank. I redid the bell-crank since in the previous one the riveting of the end did not go great. Redoing the bell-crank went smoothly, then I attached the bell-crank to the aileron. Now the aileron for the left wing is moving great as well.
December 7th and 8th, 10h
I decided to redo the fuel tank lids after checking with Vans. The issue happen when torqued the bolts after the sealant was dry. I added fuel tank sealant to the outside of the bolts, but Van said that it is not enough.
So I went ahead and removed all the bolts from all the lid for both the left and the right fuel tanks. Then I spent many hours cleaning the lids, the holes and nutplates. Then I reset the bolt with wet sealant again.
November 30th, December 1st, 14h
We continued on riveting the bottom skin for the right wing. We nearly finished the whole bottom skin, at the exception of the last 2 raws. We ended up having a little incident, dropping the bucking bar inside, we decided to check with Vans before continued.
Then we moved on to the left wing and riveted the whole left bottom wing skin. As well, we finalized the pitot tube installation.
Before closing in the wing. We took pictures of the serial number of the hardware inside.
November 24nd, 6h
After some more reading and talking with Vans about riveting the bottom skins and attaching the flaps, I realized that I had to setup the flaps first. So I had to remove all the previous rivets I set in the bottom skin. Then after setting up the flaps. We riveted the bottom inner skin and half of the bottom outer skin for the left wing
November 3nd, 5h
The wing internals are nearly complete. So, it is time to start riveting the bottom skins. First we start with fitting the skins. The is a very small gap, about 1mm between the bottom skin and the fuel tank skin in the left wing. It does not look concerning.
Then we moved on to the riveting. We started with the most inner ribs, working in an L shape, but access is pretty bad, with not much visibility. After a bunch of trials, we decided to break for the time being, and continue this on a fresh day.
November 2nd, 5h
I continued on the prep for the wing riveting. So, I finish all the pitot/AoA probe wiring:
- Attaching the wires from the probe to the controller with zip-ties and zip-tie attachments that I glued with E6000 to the control unit.
- Extending the wires from the control unit by using 20 gauge wire of the same color and butt connectors
- Applying a wire protection for all the pitot/AoA wires, as well as the stall horn wire.
I also looked into attaching the pitot probe to the must with screw, but I had some trouble with tapping the holes. I am consulting with Dynon on that, and my current plan is to fill those holes with JB weld and to make new ones.
October 27th, 6h
We need to finish all the small details inside the wing in order to rivet the bottom skins and finish the wings.
- So, I applied E6000 to the conduit.
- We started setting up the wiring of the pitot, but then we realized that we need to buy more wire and connectors
- We looked at the wiring for the lights, not much to do there. We tested passing it through the conduit, it worked great.
- We wired the magnetometer through the conduit, it was pretty easy to drive through, and not much setup needed.
- We wired the roll servo by making a connector and a cable for all the wires. As well, we glued some zip-tie attachments to control routing the cable and relieve strain.
Overall, we are pretty close to finishing up all the small internal details of the wings, and move on to riveting the bottom skins.