- We pop riveted the remaining hard to reach rivets
- we rolled the leading edge of both the left and right elevator
- We riveted the leading edge of both the left and right elevator. It was a bit tricky to get the two surfaces to mate smoothly together, we had to do additional adjustment to the bend at the area where the two surfaces meet, and by the end we got some pretty good results.
Then we attached the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer, we had to adjust the number of rotations of the bearing to get good range of motion. We have now bigger than the max 30deg range of motion, which we can reduce later on. We also had to remove a little bit of material from the horizontal stabilizer to make room for the horns, to get the large range of motion.
The empennage is looking pretty good, time to move on to the wings.
- We primed the trim tab.
- We riveted the trim tab.
- We attached the trim tab to the elevator by riveting the hinge to both the elevator and the trim tab.
- We attached the trim servo and adjusted the length of the the rod
We have a pretty good range of motion of the trim tab
We finished the elevator skeleton riveting.
We riveted the elevator skeleton to the skin. We missed putting RTV at the trailing edge where the stiffeners meet, which is because it was not specified in the instruction, but it is recommended by Van. I checked with Van and they said that it is ok to proceed and that the elevator is air worthy without the RTV.
We still need to do few rivets that can not be reached with the pneumatic or back riveting, I am ordering some more flash pop rivets for those.
We started working on the trim tab:
- Match drilling
Finally the rudder is finished and ready for storage. It is looking nice:
- Finished riveting the rudder leading edge.
- Finished priming the rudder.
We started the elevator skeleton.
- We riveted the trim system
- We riveted reinforcements plates to the spar
- We riverting E-703 to E-704
Finally, after 2 weeks of letting the sealant dry, we got into riveting the trailing edge of the rudder. The trailing edge ended up being nicely straight.
Afterwards, we got into rolling the leading edge of the rudder. This ended up taking a while, but we got a nice curved surface.
Unfortunately, a cleko teared a little bit through one of the holes in the leading edge of the rudder. So, I need to follow up with Vans about this.
I did counter skin the left elevator in the various locations it was called for.
I prepared the trim system:
- I spent a lot of time trying to determined where this 2. I called Vans and this 2 pieces are extra from another airplane, they were left in my trim box by mistake.
- Making the Holes in the correct location was tricking, but it worked out in the end with the use of a lo of clekos, clamps and testing throughout the drilling.
- Also, I had to make few modification to the access plate so that the trim system can go in and out easily.
Then I looked into bending the sides of the elevator, where the trim tab will get places. For that I need to cut a piece of wood with the taper of the elevator. I don’t have any equipment to cut wood, so I went ahead and bought a band saw.