December 13th, 14th, 10h
I riveted the flap to the right wing, which went great. It is great to see both the flap and aileron on and rotating.
Then I moved to the left wing. For this one, I had to redo the hinge, since the holes in the previous hinge did not end up having edge distance. After redoing all the drilling, deburring and dimpling, I was finally able to rivet the hinge. However this hinge did not end up being perfectly straight, because of some enlarged holes for which there was no access to enlarge the countersink. So, I waiting to hear from Vans about this one:
So, I switch to working in the aileron and bell-crank. I redid the bell-crank since in the previous one the riveting of the end did not go great. Redoing the bell-crank went smoothly, then I attached the bell-crank to the aileron. Now the aileron for the left wing is moving great as well.
October 19th and 20th, 12h
We rivets the flap and aileron braces for both the left and right wings. Then we attached the aileron for both wings. The aileron move pretty smoothly and have a good range of motion.
October 13th, 8h
We made some great progress with the flap and aileron attachment:
- Matched drilled the attachments for both wings
- Debured attachments for both wings
- Primed the attachments for both wings
- Then, riveted the attachments for both wings
Then we moved to the aileron and flap fairings
- smoothed the edges for aileron and flap failings for the both wings
- Matched drilled aileron and flap failings for the both wings
- Deburred aileron and flap failings for the both wings
- Primed aileron and flap failings for the both wings
October 6th, 4h
After flipping the tank, we proceeded with the fabrication of the bellcrank linkages:
As well, we started working on the aileron brackets for both wings:
June 30th 2h
Installing the aileron brackets was a little tricky because of access. With two people we were able to get into all the bolt and nuts and set the torque values.
June 15th, 3h
We got to finish riveting both ailerons:
- Riveting the bottom of the leading edge rib to the leading edge skin.
- Riveting the bottom of the main rib to the main skin.
- Riveting the bottom of the leading edge skin to the spar and the main skin.
- Riveting the counter balance to the leading edge skin.
The results look great:
June 5th, 8th & 9th 13h
We moved on with the preparation of the ailerons, with the aim to get the ailerons riveted and finished:
- Drilled the leading edge skin to the aft skin, the spar, the leading edge ribs, the main ribs and the counterbalance.
- Deburred the leading edge skin, the spar, the leading edge ribs, the main ribs and the counterbalance.
- Dimpled the leading edge skin, the spar, the leading edge ribs and the main ribs
- countersink the counterbalance.
- Primed the leading edge, the main rib, the leading edge ribs and counterbalance.
All the work went on smoothly. Then it was time to start riveting the ailerons:
- Riveting the leading edge rib to the counter balance: this had a little bit of tricky access requiring bending the tab of the leading edge rib, but it went on smoothly.
- Riveting the leading edge rib to the spar.
- Riveting the top leading edge skin to the spar and the aft skin. Access here was a bit hard, but we made it work with 2 people.
- Riveting the the main bibs to the aft skin and spar.
It is exciting to see the ailerons come together pretty quickly. A little bit more riveting is remaining, and then the ailerons would be done and ready to attach to the wings.
May 31th & June 1st, 13h
I riveted both left and right aileron stiffeners. It went very smoothly by using back riveting and the results look very good.
Then, I bent both the left and right aileron skins using the same bending tool I fabricated for the empennage. The bent met all the specs and aileron skin fit pretty nicely with the back spar.
Afterward, I moved ahead with prepping the skeleton:
- fabricating the reinforcement plates
- Match drilling and deburring reinforcement plates
- Match drilling and deburring the aileron brackets. These took quite a while to drill and deburr since the material is pretty tick and the access for deburring was not great. In order to drill #12 holes, I stepped up slowly from #40, so it took many iterations. Then I had to use a small file to deburr the inside of the brackets. The results look good
- Priming the parts.
- Riveting the reinforcement plates to the back spar and the platenuts.
Getting close to putting the ailerons together.
May 26th, 27th, 10h
Given that the main wings are nearly done, it was time to get started in the ailerons by getting the stiffeners and skins ready:
- Cutting the stiffness
- Edge smoothing for the stiffness and the skins.
- Match drilling the stiffeners with the skin
- Deburring stiffeners and skin
- Dimpling the stiffeners and skin
- Priming the stiffeners and skin