January 1st, 3h
After further Analysis of the alignment of the flap hinge attached to the skin, we realized that we can just adjust the teeth of the hinge. The adjustments were very small, then we tested attaching the right flap. We went through few trials, until we got to the desired results, the pin can easily flow between the 2 parts of the hinge. The flap was attached and the motion is pretty smooth. The wing looks complete, only couple items remaining.
December 13th, 14th, 10h
I riveted the flap to the right wing, which went great. It is great to see both the flap and aileron on and rotating.
Then I moved to the left wing. For this one, I had to redo the hinge, since the holes in the previous hinge did not end up having edge distance. After redoing all the drilling, deburring and dimpling, I was finally able to rivet the hinge. However this hinge did not end up being perfectly straight, because of some enlarged holes for which there was no access to enlarge the countersink. So, I waiting to hear from Vans about this one:
So, I switch to working in the aileron and bell-crank. I redid the bell-crank since in the previous one the riveting of the end did not go great. Redoing the bell-crank went smoothly, then I attached the bell-crank to the aileron. Now the aileron for the left wing is moving great as well.
October 19th and 20th, 12h
We rivets the flap and aileron braces for both the left and right wings. Then we attached the aileron for both wings. The aileron move pretty smoothly and have a good range of motion.
October 13th, 8h
We made some great progress with the flap and aileron attachment:
- Matched drilled the attachments for both wings
- Debured attachments for both wings
- Primed the attachments for both wings
- Then, riveted the attachments for both wings
Then we moved to the aileron and flap fairings
- smoothed the edges for aileron and flap failings for the both wings
- Matched drilled aileron and flap failings for the both wings
- Deburred aileron and flap failings for the both wings
- Primed aileron and flap failings for the both wings
June 29rd, 30th 12h
We tackled all the flap riveting for all parts for both the left and the right flap over the weekend. It was a bit tricky to rivet the ribs to the top skin, but we were able to go through it. The final results look great.
June 23rd, 24th, 25th, 27th 16h
I continued on with the prep of both the left and the right flaps:
- finishing the fabrication of the inboard angles.
- counter sinking the bottom of the back spar
- removing the vynil
The flaps are ready to be riveted.
June 19th, 20th, 6h
I got started on the flaps, the last big part of the wings. The flaps look straight forward and the preparation is going pretty smoothly:
- clekoed the skeletons and skins.
- fabricated spacers for the edge ribs.
- fabricated shims for the back of the ribs.
- drilled the skeleton and skin.
- fabricated the inboard angles.
The flaps are looking good: