May 17th and 18th, 19th 25h
In order to move ahead with riveting the leading edge and main skins. we needed to fix a couple things.
- One of the countersink did not go well in the main spar. I took a very conservative path fixing this. I filled the hole, re-drilled and re-did the counter sink. In addition, I added a doubled to reinforce the 10 holes around the fixed countersink. As well, I added an angle to attache the rib to spar via 4 holes instead of 2, which reduces the load in the hole with the fixed countersink.
- The most inboard rib in the leading edge ended up having holes too close to the edge. I took the conservative oath here as well. I ordered new ribs and I re-did the work. The new ribs look great.
Then I moved on to last items in the leading edge and the main spar, before riveting everything together, the point of no return:
- I finished installing the stall horn with the new hardware and riveting it to the leading edge.
- I torqued the tie down assembly to spec
Afterwards, I finished fitting all the main skins, the leading edge and the fuel tank. Everything fit together great.
Then, after checking that everything looked great, we went on with the riveting of the leading edge and main skin.
First, we riveted the new inboard ribs to the leading edges. This went great.
Then we moved to rivet the leading edge ribs to main spar. There is two issues here. One is that it is very hard to reach the rivets in the middle ribs with the bucking bar, Van recommends using LP4 pulled rivets here. The other is that the ribs from the main spar get in the way of the rivet gun. We started by riveting the ribs that we can access with an offset rivet set, but there was still a small angle that leads to the head of the rivet gun hitting the main spar. So, it looks like going with LP4 rivets for all the ribs from leading edge to main spar is the way to go here. But we are holding on doing these until we confirm with Vans.
Then we moved on to riveting the leading edge skin to the main spar. This went on very smoothly, especially given that we can use the pneumatic squeezer here. The results looked great.
Afterward, we went to riveting the skin to the main spar and skeleton. We started with W702, moving from the center to outwards as recommended. This went very smoothly and the results looked great.
May 11th and 12th, 11h
After all the prep work and the priming, we are finally at the last stage of riveting the wing together: the point of no return.
So, before we get into riveting and finalizing the wing, we need to think of all the wiring, lights and avionics components that go into the wings. This drove into a lot of research last week, these are the current options under consideration:
- Heated pitot with Aoa: Dynon or Garmin.
- Avionics: the choice of pitot tube will determine the choice of the avionics, given that I would like to go for a fully compatible system. The current choices are Dynon or Garmin or AFS.
- Stall warning: I am going for the choice provided by Vans, the stall warning will provide redundancy since I have as well AoA with the pitot tube that would be integrated with the rest of the avionics.
- Light: most likely FlyLED, the open question is the position of the landing and taxi light in the wing tip and how would that be for lighting the runway and taxi way. The other option is AeroLED.
We are still in the middle of making some decisions. In the mean time, we went ahead with riveting the leading edges. It was great to see both leading edges coming together in one day, when it took weeks to do the fuel tanks. Riveting without fuel tank sealant is so much more rewarding. The two leading edges look great:
After riveting the leading edges, we went into installing and riveting the stall horn. It came together well. However, we broke one of the bolts, so we can not rivet it for the the time being:
Then we went on prepping the main skins for riveting:
- Leveling the wings to ensure that there is no twist.
- Removing some the vynil paper that was not finished.
- Attacking the skins.
- putting rivets.
- Adding tape.
One of the wings main skins are ready to be riveted:
May 10th, 7.5h
First, I need to finish the last steps of the priming preparation:
- Applying alumina prep
- Applying acetone
Then I went ahead with priming:
- Both leading edges
- One remaining rib from each leading edge
- join plate between leading edge and fuel tank
- All the top skins
- All Access plates
- The of the main spar, back spar and ribs. These need to be primed to protect the areas of the countersinking and dimple cleaning.
April 15th, 20th, 28th, 10h
While Riveting the fuel tank with the sealant, I took some breaks from the sealant to get some progress as well with the rest of the wing.
- I Deburred and dimpled the upper skins of right wing
- I dimpled the skeleton of the left wing.
- I dimpled the back Spar of the left wing
- I deburred and dimpled the skeleton of the right wing.
- I smoothed the edges of the upper skins.
- I dimpled the back spar for the right wing.
February 23rd and 24th, 10h
Deburring and dimpling lower wing Skins for both left and right wing and one of the fuel tanks: